There is an array of ways to use Basil Pesto. Add to any of your favourite savoury meals for a fresh kick or check out JC’s tips below to improve your pesto game:
- Pesto Butter
- Pesto Meatballs
- Pesto Salad
- Pesto Chicken and Vegetables
- Pesto Fritters
You are truly only limited by your imagine once you have made this recipe. We suggest using JC’s Premium New Zealand Pine Nuts for this one. They are grown in the Marlborough region of New Zealand, where they select the Mediterranean stone pine (Pinus pinea) for their orchards because it is the most sought-after pine nut in the culinary world.
Not only that, the Pine Nut is an excellent source of protein with 35.8g per 100g serving. Pine Nuts are also high in Vitamins B1, E and minerals such as Iron.
If you create this or any of our nutty recipes, tag us on social media! We would love to see them.
- 1 ½ cup Basil Leaves
- ¾ cup (60g) parmesan, shredded (or vegetarian hard cheese)
- ¼ cup (45g) JC’s Premium New Zealand Pine Nuts, toasted
- 2 small garlic cloves, halved.
- 5 tablespoons Olive Oil
- To toast Pine Nuts: Preheat oven to 180℃, spread Pine Nuts over a baking tray and bake for 5 minutes; or lightly toast in a dry frypan over medium heat until lightly brown.
- Process the basil, parmesan, pine nuts and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped.
- With the motor running, gradually add the oil in a thin, steady stream until combined.
Combine with breadcrumbs to coat meat/seafood or toss together with freshly cooked pasta.
Tips & Notes:
- Swap out the Pine Nuts for JC’s Cashews, Walnuts, Almonds, Pecans, Sunflower Seeds, Pistachio Kernels or Pepitas! Try the different flavours you get from swapping.
- When using Pepitas or Pistachio Kernels, crush them beforehand to stop small chunks not grinding and mixing with the basil leaves.
- Add some spinach, kale, or any other green leaves with the herbs.
- Any leftover pesto can be stored in an airtight jar and refrigerated for up to one week or frozen for in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Premium New Zealand Pine Nuts
Cook like a chef with our premium pine nuts that are grown in the Marlborough region of New Zealand, they’re the most sought-after pine nut variant in the culinary world!
Premium Australian Salted Pistachios
Our roasted and salted pistachios are grown in the Riverland and Sunraysia regions for that perfect chomp! Add to cheese boards for an extra kick of flavour.