Spicy Barley and Vegetable Soup with Meatballs
Keep warm this winter with this delicious spicy barley and meatball soup, using JC’s Premium Australian Pearl Barley. Make this a weekly staple in your family for a healthy mid-week kick.
- 2 Tbsp. Oil
- 2 Leeks Washed and sliced
- 4 Large Garlic Cloves Crushed
- 3 Medium Carrots Peeled, halved lengthwise then sliced
- 3 Sticks Celery Sliced
- 3 Tsp. Cumin
- 3 Tsp. Coriander
- 3 Tsp. Paprika
- 1 1/4 Tsp. Chilli Flakes
- 2 400g Diced Tomatoes
- 1 1/2 Cups JC's Premium Australian Pearl Barley Rinsed under running water
- 2 1/2 Litres Low Salt Beef Stock
- Salt and pepper To taste
- 8 Angus Beef Sausages
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Coriander
- Coriander Leaves For garnish
- Crusty Bread For serving
- Heat the oil in a large 5 litre saucepan/stockpot Sauté the leek and garlic gently for 5 minutes, add the carrot and celery and cook for a further for 5minutes. Stir in the spices and cook a further minute or so until fragrant then add the tomatoes, barley and stock. Bring the soup to the boil then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile split the skins of the sausages, remove the sausage meat then discard the skins/casings. Cut each of the sausage meat portions into 6 then roll into meatballs to make 48. Spray a large non-stick frypan with oil and cook the meatballs over a medium heat for 5 minutes or until well browned and cooked through. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Add the meatballs to the soup, cover and simmer gently a further 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season to taste, then stir through the coriander. (Add a little extra water or stock if the soup becomes too thick)
- Ladle the soup into serving bowls, top with extra coriander leaves and serve with crusty bread.