Easy Spicy Dahl and Chicken Tray Bake
This spicy Red Lentil Dahl is easy to make and taste delicious. Dahl can be an excellent source of iron and fibre. Plus, it packs a protein punch which is great for weight management and implementing a healthy diet.
- 2 Tbsp. Oil
- 2 Red Onions Cut into eighths
- 1 Red Capsicum Cut into 2cm pieces
- 6 Garlic Cloves Crushed
- 2 Tbsp. Grated Ginger
- 1-2 Birdseye chillies Finely chopped. Only use one if you prefer it mild
- Spray Oil
- 1 Kg Chicken Thigh Fillets Approx. 6-8
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Hot Curry Powder
- 2 Tsp. Cumin
- 2 Tsp. Garam Masala
- 1 Tsp. Turmeric
- 1 Tsp. Paprika
- 1 Cup JC's Premium Australian Red Split Lentils Rinsed
- 2 1/4 Cups Low Salt Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- 165 Ml Can Light Coconut Milk
- 2 Medium Zucchini Approx. 350g, cut into 1cm slices
- Salt and Pepper To taste
- 1 Punnet Cherry Tomatoes Halved for serving
- 1 Cup Natural Yoghurt Thinned with a little milk for drizzling
- 1 Cup Coriander Leaves For serving
- Extra Birdseye Chillies Sliced for garnish
- Roti Bread For serving, if desired
- Combine the oil, onion, capsicum, garlic, ginger, and chilies in a large shallow baking dish and toss to coat in the oil. Bake in a hot oven 200°C FF for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spray a large non-stick frypan with oil and quickly cook the thigh fillets over a high heat until browned. Remove from the heat and keep warm.
- Add the spices to the hot oven tray and toss through the onions and capsicum mixture, stand 1 minute. Add the chicken, lentils, stock, and coconut milk and mix well. Bake a further 20 minutes then reduce the heat to 180°C FF, add the zucchinis and cook a further 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Season to taste.
- Toss the tomatoes over the chicken and dhal then drizzle with the yogurt. Finish with the coriander leaves and extra chili. Serve immediately with warm Roti.