Cheesy Red Lentil and Mushroom Filled Sweet Potatoes
A wholesome and filling take on the humble baked potato, our deliciously cheesy lentil & mushroom filled baked sweet potato will bring a smile to everyone's face at dinnertime.
- 1/2 cup JC's Premium Australian Red Split Lentils
- 4 350g Sweet Potato washed well and dried
- 1 1/2 cup Low sodium vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 200 g Swiss Brown Mushrooms
- 1 large Onion - chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 Red Chili seeds removed
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Coriander
- 1 large Carrot grated
- 400g jar Passata
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 1/2 cups Grated Tasty Cheese
- Place the sweet potatoes onto a lined tray and prick a few times with a skewer. Bake at 190°C FF for 1 hour or until tender.NB: The filling will stretch to 6 serves if smaller sweet potatoes, approx 250-300g are used. Adjust cooking times accordingly.
- Rinse the lentils under running water then place into a small saucepan with the stock. Bring to the boil then simmer for 8-10 minutes, or until the lentils are just cooked. Drain well.
- Heat the oil in a large fry pan, add the mushrooms and onion and sauté for 3-5 minutes. Add the garlic, chilli and spices and cook a further 2 minutes. Add the carrot, passata and lentils, cover and simmer gently for 8-10 minutes. Season to taste.
- Make a deep 3/4 deep cut along the length of each hot sweet potato and open out like a boat on the tray. Liberally spoon the hot filling into the opening of each potato then sprinkle each with grated cheese. Place the sweet potatoes under a hot grill until the cheese has melted. Garnish with coriander leaves and chilli if desired, serve immediately with salad.
Premium Australian Red Split Lentils
Grown and packaged in Australian, these hearty Legumes have a mild sweet flavor and are ideal for soups, dips and curries.