Why should kids have all of the fun at Christmas!? We’ve got a recipe just for the big kids (adults) with this delicious Hazelnut Liqueur. It’s refreshing, great for entertaining or even as a gift. Although we do recommend making double if gifting because you won’t be able to part ways without giving it a try and once you do, you’ll need a new gift!
- 1 Oven Tray
- 1 Saucepan
- 1 Sieve
- Large Jar/s Depending how much you are making
- 525 Grams JC's Natural Hazelnuts Roughly chopped
- 375 Ml Vodka
- 375 Ml Brandy
- 1/2 Cup Raw Caster Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 2 Vanilla Beans Split, lengthwise
- Place the chopped nuts onto an oven tray and bake at 160°C for 12-15 minutes or until golden and toasted. Allow to cool.
- Combine in a large jar/s the hazelnuts, vodka, and brandy. Seal and store for 4 weeks, shaking occasionally.
- Combine the sugar, water and vanilla beans in a saucepan and stir over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved. Allow to cool then add to the hazelnut and alcohol mixture. Shake well. Stand a further week.
- Strain the liqueur through a fine sieve to remove the nuts and vanilla(reserve the nuts). Sieve again for a second time through a coffee filter or fine paper towel placed in the sieve (this will take a while). Decant into sterilised serving bottles. Refrigerate and use as required.
- A deliciously refreshing way to use your new Hazelnut Liqueur: Fill a glass with ice. Add some sliced lime and a good squeeze of lime juice. Pour over the liqueur and top with a little soda water. Give a little stir and enjoy. Awesome for Christmas Day!
- If making the Hazelnut Liqueur as a gift, package in cellophane bags, add a cute tag and decorate Festive!
- Using the leftover hazelnuts: Place the hazelnuts onto a lined tray, dry off in the oven 160°C for 20-30 minutes. Allow to cool thoroughly then store in an airtight container. Toss through a Chocolate Fudge, Ice Cream, Brownie , Rocky Road or add to your favourite Christmas Fruit Cake or Pudding recipe..