• 500g of J.C.’S Italian Soup Mix
• 2 onions, finely chopped
• 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
• 2 carrots, peeled and diced
• 2 sticks of celery, chopped
• 400g can of crushed tomatoes
• 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
• 1 L chicken stock
• Olive Oil
• Salt and Pepper
1. Soak beans overnight in a generous amount of fresh water, they will double in size.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large, heavy based stock pot and when hot sauté the onions until transparent.
3. Add the garlic, carrots and celery, combine, lower heat and cover pan to allow the vegetables to sweat for 5 minutes.
4. Add the drained beans, canned tomatoes, tomato paste and chicken stock, mix well and bring to the simmer and cover.
5. Continue to simmer for 2 hours or until a large bean can be easily crushed against the side of the pot with a spoon.
6. Taste and adjust seasoning with Salt & Pepper.
7. Serve with toasted crusty bread and a drizzle of fruity olive oil.